Stanislav Pozdnyakov summarizes the initial results of activities of centre of fencing in Siberia
Our background : Stanislav Alexeyevich Pozdnyakov was born on September 27, 1973 in Novosibirsk. He graduated from Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University. Honored Master of Sport (1992, sabre fencing). He lives in Novosibirsk, getting trained with Boris Pisetsky, the Honored Coach of Russia. The winner of the XXV Olympic Games in Barcelona (1992) in the team championship, the winner of the XXVI Olympic Games in Atlanta (1996) in personal and team championship and of the XXVII Olympic Games in Sydney (2000) in the team championship. The had the bronze medal in of the XXVIII Olympic Games in Athens (2004) in team championship.
Champion of the world in 1997, 2001, 2002, 2006 in individual championship. Champion of the world in 1994, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, in team championship. Winner of the World Cups of 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, in the individual classification. Awarded the Order of Merit (1997) and "For the services to the Motherland", IV degree (2001). The captain of Russian national fencing team.
As a preamble.
In 1997, at the World Championship in Cape Town (South Africa), theRussian sabre fencer Stanislav Pozdnyakov has won his firstgolden medal in the individual classification. In the interview to the "Soviet sport" correspondent Tatiana Kolchanova, Pozdnyakov mentioned that he would like to establish his own fencing school, and he believed that there will come the days when that objective could be accomplished It was rather strange to hear those words from young man of 24-years old wasn't it ?
Ten years later.
In April 2007 Tatiana Kolchanova met with Stanislav Pozdnyakov again to continue the conversation, happened 10 years ago.
Last year in your native city of Novosibirsk there was launched one of the programms of the International Charity Fund "For the Future of Fencing" for the establishment of Stanislaw Pozdnyakov's fencing training center.
- Could you tell us please, how did you manage to implement the idea you've mentioned back in Cape Town?
- Then, in 1997, it was just a dream. I didn't know what has to be done to implement it. And only after Alisher Usmanov's election to the position of the President of the Fencing Federation of Russia,I've shared with him the idea of establishing a fencing center in the Siberian region, which was supported by Usmanov's Adviser in sport issues Sergey Sharikov, who is the twice Olympic Champion and is my "comrade-in-arms" as well . Our idea was met with understanding by Alisher Burhanovich, who entitled Alexander Mikhailov, the President of the International Charity Fund "For the Future of Fencing" together with us to develop the concept of the training center, which should define the basic directions of its work. In 2005 I was elected a Deputy of the Novosibirsk Regional Council and was able to involve administrative resources of the region to the project implementation.
-Can we speak today on the first results of this program?
-"Now there are 200 children in our Center, who are getting trained by six coaches, the majority of them are young people, with whom I've been trained in fencing. The classes take place in five schools, where with the Fundís assets there were repaired gyms, special equipment and outfits for fencing were purchased. The Fund also partially covers compensations to the coaches. In addition to the work with children, the programme framework includes training workshops for the young gifted athletes. We've also assumed the responsibility for arrangement of two major competitions. In December along with the Administration of the Novosibirsk region , we are going to hold the tournament for the adult masters of sport.
Also, on April 28, for the first time, there will be held the tournament for the cadets for Pozdnyakov's prizes. This is a significant event, because at their age the teenagers have to make a decision in favor of one or another sports activity. We help them to understand themselves, to realize their involvement in this wonderful kind of sport. We have also an opportunity to send the children from the Siberian region to Olympic Reserve School in Novosibirsk, where they can study, get trained and live in really good conditions. Those who would like to obtain a higher education, can enter the Department of Physical Education in Novosibirsk Pedagogical University .
- Is the construction of some specialized fencing centre foreseen in the framework of the Programme?
- We can only talk about the construction of a multi-purpose sports complex, where fencing is going to be a prevailing kind of sport . During the tournament in December this issue has been discussed at the meeting, attended by Viktor Tolokonsky, Novosibirsk region Governor, Yuri Bychkov, Vice- President of the Fund "For the Future of Fencing" , Boris Pisetsky, who is my coach, and now the Senior Coach of the national team of Russia in sabre fencing among men,representatives of regional administration authorities, Sergey Sharikov and me. Currently we are choosing the location for construction site and working out a concept of the multi-purpose sports complex .
- We know that many kids are not too willing to be engaged in sports nowadays. There is a variety of more attractive entertainments, such as computer games, the Internet, etc. Is it difficult to attract the children to the fencing classes?
- In Novosibirsk there was no problem with recruitment. One of the indicators that I am completely satisfied with is that in the previous year only 20-25% of the trainees have left the school . It shows that those who stayed have made their choice. The fact proves that our concept approach is correct. Why do we turn to schools? Above all, it was done to relieve the pressure from the parents, to whom it's not always convenient to take their kids to the classes, located at the other end of the city.
In our schools the kids go fencing after the classes, they are kept busy all day long and they are under the care of the teachers. There's also another important factor: upon the agreement with the schools authorities we can choose the time for training at our convenience. After the lessons the children have lunch and after a short break they go to the training classes. Thus, we are saving their time. The situation satisfies everybody: parents, school authorities, our coaches and me.
The trainers are also satisfied with the fact that getting a job in our center, they feel more confidence in the future. We are a reliable organization, and our approach to the solution of all the problems is serious. We remove excessive pressures related with the organizational and administrative matters from the coaches.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Alisher Usmanov, who supported the idea of establishing the centre of fencing in Siberia, Alexander Mikhailov, and the President of the Fund "For the Future of Fencing" who is very cooperative in all operational matters and to Gennady Kasyanov, the Manager of the Fund, who directly supervises the fund activities.
As regards the part of a project, sponsored by the Fund, there are never any problems or delays in payments. This is really important, because I am only involved in the organization pf the process, but there are at least 10 people working with me, who one way or another depend on me. I am happy to see that the Fund completely performs its responsibilities.
It is extremely important, that only in about three years it would be possible to see the real sports results. You can trust my words, I regularly attend training sessions and I see, what interesting children come in fencing and how happy they are to get training. In May they will participate in their first competitions, the championship of our Training Center. There they will be inaugurated in the community of musketeers. This is an extremely important event to all of us, a kind a summary of tour Centre activity
Translated by Ludmila Kos